(P2) This year’s event is the 26th. The sport is a Spanish tradition. It is more than 216 years old.
(P4) Children go to the top of the towers. Thousands of people watch the teams.
VOCABULARY: event, held, competition, tradition, careful, dangerous
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Are there any traditional sports in your country? If so, describe one.
- Do you like to play and watch sports? Why or why not?
- Would you like to play this sport? Why or why not?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- How often is the event?
- What type of event is it?
- How old is the sport in Spain?
- How many teams are in the competition?
- How many people watch the competition?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- every two years (P1)
- is the 26th (P2)
- more than 216 years old (P2)
- go to the top (p4)