[World News ★]
(P1) Hurricane Matthew hits Haiti. It is a very strong hurricane. It completely destroys some areas. Hundreds of people die. Thousands of people are homeless. Many people die from falling trees, flying things, and flooded rivers.
(P2) There is no electricity. People cannot use their phones. They do not have enough food and water. Hospitals cannot help everybody.
VOCABULARY: hurricane, strong, destroys, homeless, flooded, electricity
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, describe what the article is about.
- Have you ever been in a bad storm? If so, tell me about it.
- Have you ever lost electricity? If so, why?
- Do you think food and water should be sent to Haiti?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- Where did the hurricane hit?
- How many people die?
- What happens to the rivers?
- The people have electricity. (T or F)
- The people cannot use their phones. (T or F)
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- hits Haiti (P1)
- some areas (P1)
- falling trees (P1)
- help everybody (P2)
Image source: by Ramon Espinosa / AP http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-photos-hurricane-matthew-20161003-026-photo.html