[World News ★]
(P1) Cage diving is a popular tourist attraction. People get in a cage and they watch sharks around them.
(P2) A group of people cage dive in Mexico. A diver is in the cage and a shark comes. It hits the cage and breaks it. It enters the cage. The diver is still inside. This is really scary. People film this.
(P3) The shark is in the cage, but it soon gets out. When the shark leaves, the diver comes back up. He is fine.
VOCABULARY: cage, diver, breaks, enters, leaves
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Would you cage dive? Why or why not?
- Do you like to swim in the sea or ocean? Why or why not?
- What are some scary things?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- Cage diving is not popular with tourists. (T or F)
- Which country are the tourists in?
- What happens to the cage when the shark hits it?
- The shark does not get out of the cage. (T or F)
- The diver was not ok. (T or F)
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- tourist attraction (P1)
- get in a cage (P1)
- gets out (P3)
- back up (P3)
Image source: By kalanz from Honolulu, Hawaii, CC-BY-SA 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Sharks_outside_cage.jpg