[World News ★★]
(P1) The Thai King ruled over Thailand for 70 years, making him the longest ruling monarch. He died last week.
VOCABULARY: monarch, palace, procession, lifetime, temple, ritual
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Is there a traditional ritual in your country when someone dies? If so, explain.
- Do people in your country wear a certain color of clothing when someone dies? If so, which colors?
- Have you ever been to Thailand? If no, do you want to go there?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- How long did the king rule in Thailand?
- What two things did people do at the procession?
- Only a few people in Thailand had one king during their life. (T or F)
- Where will the body of the king lie?
- Who will perform the bathing ceremony?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- ruled over Thailand (P1)
- through Bangkok (P2)
- the only king (P2)
- bathing ceremony (P3)
Image source: by “unknown” http://www.wikitree.us/story/5693