(P2) The couple lived in France in the 19th century. They were the parents of five daughters. All of the daughters later became nuns. The most respected one is Saint Therese of Lisieux.
(P3) The synod is focused on how the church can be a better minister to modern families.
VOCABULARY: saints, canonized, synod, nuns, minister
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Have you ever visited France? If no, do you want to?
- Do you know where the Vatican is located?
- What are some problems modern families face?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- What are the names of the people that got canonized?
- Where did the couple live?
- Only four out of the five daughters were nuns. (T or F)
- What’s the name of the most admired nun?
- What is the focus of the Synod?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- first time in history (P1)
- in the Vatican (P1)
- were the parents (P2)
- modern families (P3)