[World News ★★]
(P1) The Philippines president Rodrigo Duterte said his country will move away from the USA and work with China. Mr. Duterte might also get closer to Russia. He said: “Maybe I will talk to Putin and tell him that there are three of us against the world: China, the Philippines, and Russia.” Duterte said he would end military and economic agreements with the USA. He told the USA: “Your stay in my country was for your own benefit. So it is time to say goodbye.”
(P2) Things could now change in Asia. China will be stronger and the USA will be weaker. The USA may have to leave its military bases in the Philippines. This would be a big problem for the USA. A US spokesman said it could change its whole approach to the region. The US and the Philippines were close partners for 65 years. The Russian newspaper ‘Russia Today’ wrote about the change. It said China has just turned an old rival into a friend.
VOCABULARY: economic, benefit, military bases, approach, rival
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Do you think it’s smart for the Philipines to move away from the USA? Why or why not?
- Have you ever been to the Philipines? If not, do you want to go there? Why or why not?
- Do you think the citizens of the Philipines agree with Duterte? Why or why not?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- Who is the leader of the Philippines?
- Which countries does Duterte say will be against the rest of the world?
- The USA is definitely being told to get their military out. (T or F)
- How long were the USA and the Philipines together?
- Who said China and the Philipines are now friends?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- will move away (P1)
- against the world (P1)
- your own benefit (P1)
- could now change (P2)