(P1) Los Angeles, also called LA, is a city in the USA. It is located in southern California. There are about four million people that live in the city and over 18 million people in the LA region. The city has an area of 1200 square kilometers. The city of LA has the second largest population in the USA. New York City is the largest. LA is the largest city in California.
(P2) The weather is usually warm and arid during the summer. It is cool and rainy in the winter. The weather is usually cooler near the ocean, so the beaches do not get as hot in the summer. It is very rare for temperatures to go below freezing. The city doesn’t get a lot of rain each year.
(P3) L.A. has many famous sights. There are many long beaches, such as Venice Beach. Many visitors go to Hollywood, home to the Hollywood Walk of Fame or visit the famous SeaWorld. Los Angeles also has many outstanding museums such as the L.A. County Museum of Art and the Getty Museum.
VOCABULARY: region, population, arid, cooler, sights, outstanding
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Have you ever been to LA? If yes, what did you do there? If no, do you want to go there?
- What’s the weather like in your country?
- Describe the city that you currently live in?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- What’s the population of the Los Angeles region?
- Los Angeles is the largest city in the United States. (T or F)
- Noramlly the weather in LA is ________ and __________.
- Los Angeles has a few fine museums. (T or F)
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- located in (P1)
- usually warm (P2)
- near the ocean (P2)
- to go below freezing (P2)