(p1) A group of school children from a village in China must take a dangerous journey. If they want to get home, they have to climb a big mountain.
(P2) The children climb about twenty meters on the ladders to the top of the mountain. They carry their bags and other things, too. A dog also uses the ladders.
(P3) Parents are always very happy when they see their children again. The parents want a better way to get into their village. They also believe that a better future lies in their children’s education.
VOCABULARY: dangerous, climb, ladders, again, believe
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- How did you get to school when you were a child?
- Do you think the children should have a better way to get home? Why or why not?
- Do you think all children in your country get a good education? Why or why not?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- What’s the name of the village?
- What do the children climb to get home?
- What do they use to climb the mountain?
- What animal climbs the ladders also?
- What do the parents of the children want?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- a group of school children (P1)
- if they want to get home (P1)
- other things (P2)
- a better way (P3)
Image source: By Dennis, Public domain, https://www.flickr.com/photos/garratt3/11130106653