(P1) Nobody can say he didn’t put the work in: After more than 200 movies in a career that spans more than 50 years, starting when he was a 5-year-old child actor, Jackie Chan was finally awarded an Oscar Sunday night. The 62-year-old was one of four recipients of this year’s Governors Awards, E! Online reports. He was praised by Tom Hanks as “the man that puts the ‘Chan’ in ‘Chan-Tastic,’ because he has worked mostly in martial arts films and action comedies, two genres that have been, for some reason, shall we say, historically underrepresented at the Oscars, a fact that will change if I have any pull on the board of governors.”
(P2) Chan was also introduced by co-stars Michelle Yeoh and Chris Tucker, who called him a “living legend,” People reports. In his acceptance speech at the Hollywood event, Chan praised hometown Hong Kong and all the people who helped him get where he is. “My dad always said, ‘Son, you get so many movie awards in the world, when are you going to get one of these?”, he said. “Then I just look at my dad. ‘Ha, ha, ha. Dad, I only make comedy action movies.'” Casting director Lynn Stalmaster, documentary maker Frederick Wiseman, and film editor Anne V. Coates were also honored.
VOCABULARY: spans, recipients, underrepresented, legend, honored
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- What genres of movies do you like to watch? Why?
- Who are some of the famous entertainers from your country? What are they famous for?
- What advice has your mother or father given you?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- How many years has Chan been acting?
- Chan was one of five individuals who received the honorary Oscar award named the Governors Awards. (T or F)
- Which two types of movies is Chan known for?
- Who presented Chan during the ceremony?
- What are the names of the other three individuals recognized with the same award?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- have any pull (P1)
- acceptance speech (P2)
- who helped him get where he is (P2)
- I only make comedy action movies (P2)