(P1) People save an Australian tourist. They find him in the Malaysian jungle. They find him after two weeks. They take the man in a helicopter. The helicopter takes him to the hospital.
(P2) The man was lost in a national park in Borneo Island. He was lost on the 20th of October. The man is about 25 years old.
(P3) People find him in a valley. The valley is about five kilometers from base camp.
(P4) The man did not eat much food. He ate only plants. He is hungry but his body is OK. He only has some small problems with his feet.
VOCABULARY: jungle, about, valley, base camp, plants, hungry
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Have you ever been lost? If so, where?
- Do you want to visit the jungle? Why or why not?
- Would you like to fly in a helicopter? Why or why not?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- Where is the tourist from?
- Which country is the man in?
- What date did he get lost?
- How close was he to the base camp?
- What did the man eat when he was lost?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- find him (P1)
- takes him to the hospital (P1)
- was lost on the 2oth of October (P2)
- much food (P4)
- has some small problems (P4)
Image source: By Zagreb-fire, CC-BY-3.0, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:MFRD_Rescue_Helicopter.jpg