[World News ★★]
(P1) World leaders congratulated Donald Trump on his election win. Mr. Trump beat his rival Hillary Clinton. He will become the USA’s 45th President on January 20, 2017. He will be 70 years, 7 months and 6 days old, the oldest person to be President. Mr. Trump said he would begin the “urgent task” of rebuilding the USA and the American dream. He wants the USA to be the strongest economy in the world. He also wants to get along with all other nations.
(P2) Russia was among the first to congratulate Mr. Trump. Its president said he wanted to work with the USA. China said it wanted to work with the US in a helpful way without arguments. The Mexican President said the USA was a friend and partner. France’s President said he was not sure about the future. Germany’s Justice Minister said: “The world won’t end, but things will get more crazy.” Japan’s leader said he would try and work with Mr. Trump.
VOCABULARY: election, rival, urgent, rebuilding, arguments, justice
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Are you happy or sad that Mr. Trump will be the next president of the USA? Why?
- Have you ever visited the USA? If so, where and why?
- What did the leader of your country say about Mr. Trump?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- Who was Mr. Trump’s opponent?
- How old will Mr. Trump be when he takes office?
- Who was among one of the first world leaders to congratulate Mr. Trump?
- What did the president of Mexico say about the USA?
- What’s the title of the person from Germany who commented?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- will become (P1)
- get along with all other nations (P1)
- helpful way (P2)
- get more crazy (P2)