(P1) Shanti is an elephant. She paints pictures. One picture costs 2000 dollars. Some people pay the 2000 dollars for one picture.
(P2) Shanti painted 12 pictures but now she stops. The director of the Prague gallery knows why she stops. The director says, “Shanti was in a film. She is a star. Now she has depression. When the depression stops, she will paint again.”
(P3) Shanti does a good thing. The money from pictures helps elephants in Sri Lanka.
VOCABULARY: pay, but, director, star, depression, helps
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Do you like elephants? Why or why not
- Do you like to paint? Why or why not?
- Do you like watching movies about animals? Why or why not?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- What is the elephant’s name?
- How much did one picture cost?
- How many pictures did Shanti paint?
- Why is Shanti a star?
- The money from Shanti’s picture helps __________ in Sri Lanka.
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- paints pictures (P1)
- 2000 dollars for one picture (P1)
- she will paint again (P2)
- in Sri Lanka (P3)