Six ideas to help beginners learn English faster:
1. Listen to English every day
- Listen to English radio
- Watch English TV
- Go to English movies
2. Make an English/ESL friend
3. Read English stories
- Start with children’s books
- Try ESL readers
- Read advertisements, signs, and labels
4. Write down new words
- Start a notebook for new words
- Write words in alphabetical order (A, B, C)
- Make example sentences
5. Keep an English diary
Start with one sentence.
- How do you feel?
- How is the weather?
- What did you do today?
Write another sentence tomorrow.
6. Visit an English-speaking country
- Learn English more quickly
- Stay with an English family
- Hear native speakers talk
VOCABULARY: go to, makeup, dialogues, labels, write down, diary
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- What are your goals to learn or improve your English?
- Do you have English speaking friends? If yes, describe them. If no, do you want one? Why or why not?
- What English speaking country would you like to live in? Why?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- The article mentions 3 listening activities. What are they?
- One way to practice English is to create your own conversations. (T or F)
- Learning new words helps to improve your English. (T or F)
- Writing sentences and words into a journal is not recommended. (T or F)
- What are three things you can do in English-speaking countries to learn English?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- ESL friend
- start with children’s books
- make example sentences
- stay with
Image source: by “unknown” https://i1.sndcdn.com/avatars-000148519513-teqoc3-t500x500.jpg