(P1) Sushi is a traditional food from Japan. It is popular in countries all over the world. Sushi restaurants have become very popular in many Asian, North American, and European cities.
(P3) There are many different kinds of sushi. The most popular sushi in Japan is nigirizushi. This kind of sushi has a piece of fish on top of some rice. Another kind of sushi is makizushi. This is rice rolled around fish or vegetables and wrapped in seaweed. In the USA, makizushi has become the most popular kind of sushi.
(P4) In Japan, Sushi is traditionally served in counter-style restaurants, but there are also many “conveyor-belt shops”. These are called kaiten zushi. In this kind of shop, plates of sushi are put on a moving belt. People can take the sushi they want as it passes. The color of the plate shows the price of the sushi. This type of restaurant is also popular in other countries.
VOCABULARY: vinegar, wrapped, rolled, counter-style, conveyor-belt
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Do you like to eat sushi? If yes, which type do you like? If no, why not?
- Why do you think sushi is popular all over the world?
- Do you have counter-style restaurants and conveyor-belt shops in your country?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- According to the article, where does sushi come from?
- Sushi is not popular in most cities in Europe. (T or F)
- What’s the most popular type of sushi in the country of Japan?
- Describe makizushi sushi.
- According to the article, how do customers know the price in a kaiten zushi restaurant?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- contains raw or cooked seafood or vegetables (P1)
- a piece of fish (P3)
- wrapped in seaweed (P4)
- as it passes (P5)