(P1) Companies always try to find good leaders. Good leaders often make good decisions that can make money. They also work hard to keep workers happy by listening and helping out. At the same time, companies try to remove people who are bad leaders. This is because companies with bad leaders often have big problems. Bad leaders make mistakes that can cost lots of money. They also might do something that hurts the company’s image. There are several indicators of a bad leader.
(P2) Bad leaders are often scared to take chances. They are content to just keep doing what a company has already been doing for many years. People get bored at their jobs doing the same thing all the time. Customers get tired of the same old product. Another business will make more money by sometimes taking a risk and doing something fresh.
(P3) Another sign of a bad leader is that they have problems with communication. When leaders can’t convey their own ideas in e-mails or in a meeting, the company is in big trouble. Poor communication can really harm a company. Also, leaders who can’t or won’t listen to their workers can also create problems. Most workers know their jobs very well. Their ideas are often valuable. If a leader won’t consider them, he might miss a chance to improve the company.
(P4) Finally, bad leaders don’t want to take responsibility when things go wrong. They blame their workers or other people on their team. Also, bad leaders take all of the praise when things go well. They do not thank their employees for doing a good job. This can hurt people’s feelings. Workers can become bitter and quit their jobs. It takes time and money for the company to find new workers.
VOCABULARY: indicators, content, risk, convey, praise, bitter
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- In your own words, describe a bad leader.
- In your own words, describe a good leader?
- Why do you think some bad leaders are hired or promoted?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- According to the article, companies always try to identify bad leaders and fire them. (T or F)
- Bad leaders do the same thing day in and day out. (T or F)
- A bad leader has problems ________________ with his team and writing emails.
- According to the article, only some people know their jobs well. (T or F)
- If a worker is unhappy with their leader, he/she may ___________ their job.
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- can cost lots of money (P1)
- same old product (P2)
- doing something fresh (P2)
- often valuable (P3)