[World News ★]
(P1) This news is from last Tuesday. There is an earthquake. It is strong. The earthquake starts a tsunami. The tsunami hits Japan. Nobody dies. Two people are a little bit injured.
(P2) The tsunami hits near Fukushima. There is a nuclear power plant there. A big tsunami hit the plant in 2011.
VOCABULARY: earthquake, strong, tsunami, injured, power plant
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Are there tsunamis or earthquakes in your country? If yes, where?
- Are there nuclear power plants in your country? If yes, where?
- Have you ever been to Japan? If Yes, why? If no, do you want to go there?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- What country had an earthquake?
- What day did the Tsunami happen on?
- Two people died in the Tsunami. (T or F)
- What city is the power plant in?
- There was another Tsunami back in __________.
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- last Tuesday (P1)
- hits Japan (P1)
- near Fukushima (P2)
- in 2011 (P2)
Image source: By Official Navy Page, from United States of America Mass Communication Specialist 3r/U.S. Navy, Public domain, https://www.flickr.com/photos/56594044@N06/5534029215