(P1) Aviators flew vintage planes over Nairobi, Africa during the Vintage Air Rally, an event that recognizes biplanes from the 1920s and 1930s. People think that the oldest plane in the event is from 1928.
(P3) People expect to fly the biplanes 12,800 kilometers and expect to reach Cape Town in two weeks.
VOCABULARY: aviators, vintage, rally, biplanes, charity, colonies
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Would you fly in one of these biplanes? Why or why not?
- Can you name some charities in your country?
- Are there vintage things in your country? (IE. planes, cars, furniture, etc)
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- Aviators are also called ___________.
- The oldest plane at the rally is definitely from 1928. (T or F)
- The route used to be flown by ____________.
- How far will the planes fly?
- How long will it take to go to Cape Town?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- from the 1920’s and 1930’s (P1)
- from 1928 (P1)
- supporting charity (P2)
- recreating the route (P2)