(P1) A father invited his family and friends to his daughter Rubi’s 15th birthday party. His Facebook post went viral and 1.2 million people said they would come. He said they could all come. Everybody was invited. Many people might go to the party so there will be a lot of police officers.
(P2) A 15th birthday is important for a girl in Mexico. She has a party with many guests. She wears a beautiful dress and makeup. At Rubi’s party, there will be music bands and a horse race. There is a joke online. It shows Donald Trump and Mexico’s president saying Mexican migrants in the USA can go to Rubi’s party.
VOCABULARY: viral, makeup, horse race, joke, migrants
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- How are birthdays celebrated in your country?
- Are there any special ages for birthdays in your country?
- Do you like birthday parties? Why or why not?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- How many people said they would go to the birthday party?
- Because a lot of people might go to the party, _______________ will be there for security.
- Turning 15 is a special age for young Mexican female teenagers. (T or F)
- What does a girl in Mexico wear to her 15th birthday party?
- There won’t be music at the party. (T or F)
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- said they would come (P1)
- could all come (P1)
- might go (P1)
- music bands (P2)