(P3) Christopher said that the last major event he remembered happening was the Chernobyl accident in 1986. That was not the reason he went into the woods.
(P4) Police caught and arrested him at the Pine Tree Camp where he had been stealing food. Christopher told police officers that he had talked to only one person in 27 years. Police charged him with one count of burglary so far.
VOCABULARY: decades, hermit, harsh, tarp, camouflage, arrested, charged
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Could you survive living in the woods for 27 years? Why or why not?
- Why do you think he stole food?
- How long do you think you could go without talking to someone?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- Where does Mr. Knight live?
- What did he put over his tent?
- What is the last worldwide event he remembered?
- Where did the police find and take him into custody?
- How many years was in in the woods for?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- walked into the woods (P1)
- very little contact with humans (P1)
- to hide where he was (P2)
- the last major event he remembered (P3)
- he had talked to only one person (P4)
Image source: By Pezibear, Public domain, https://pixabay.com/cs/chata-krajiny-louka-srub-p%C5%99%C3%ADrody-799488/