(P1) This news is from the London Zoo. The animals get presents early this year.
(P2) The Sumatran tiger cubs are six months old. These cubs were born in June. They do not wait to open their Christmas presents. There are pieces of meat inside colorful boxes. They like their presents!
(P3) The zookeepers think that it is a really good activity. The cubs are full of energy. This activity takes all of their morning energy.
(P4) There are not many Sumatran tigers in the wild today. There are only 400 now. There were 1000 in the 1970s.
VOCABULARY: presents, cubs, colorful, zookeepers, activity, energy
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Do you like going to the zoo? Why or why not?
- What animals do you like?
- Do you like to receive presents? Why or why not?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- What city is the zoo in?
- How old are the tiger cubs?
- What is inside the colored boxes?
- The cubs have a lot of energy. (T or F)
- How many Sumatran tigers are living in the wild now?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- early this year (P1)
- born in June (P2)
- pieces of meat (P2)
- takes all of their morning energy (P3)
- in the wild (P4)
Image source: By skeeze, Public domain, https://pixabay.com/cs/tygr-tyg%C5%99%C3%ADk-ko%C4%8Dka-d%C3%ADt%C4%9B-mlad%C3%BD-552939/