(P1) White rice has a lot of calories. Scientists in Sri Lanka have discovered a technique that reduces the calories by 60%. This could help people lose weight.
(P2) The method is to boil the rice with one teaspoon of coconut oil. You then let it cool and put it in the refrigerator for 12 hours. After 12 hours, the calories will have reduced by 60%.
(P3) Sarah Coe from the British Nutrition Foundation says that this method could also improve digestion and regulate blood sugar levels. However, more research needs to be done to confirm this.
VOCABULARY: calories, technique, reduces, boil, teaspoon, digestion, regulate
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- How is white rice cooked in your country?
- Do people in your country refrigerate rice? Why or why not?
- Name some foundations in your country.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- The scientists are in the country of _____________.
- The technique to reduce calories in white rice is ___________ it with coconut oil.
- How long should you refrigerate the rice after it’s cooked?
- Sarah Coe works for the ________________________.
- Researchers are 100% sure this cooking method will help with digestion. (T or F)
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- by 60% (P1)
- lose weight (P1)
- let it cool (P2)
- blood sugar levels (P3)
Image source: Credit THINKSTOCK http://easyenglisharticles.com/how-to-make-white-rice-healthier/