(P1) Cricket is a hugely popular sport in Pakistan, and there have been some incredible Pakistani cricket players. One of the all-time greats has to be the left-arm fast bowler and batsman Wasim Akram. Here are five fun facts about this record-breaking cricketer.
- He was born on June 3 in 1966.
- His nickname is The King of Swing because of his ability to swing a cricket ball.
- He took more than 500 wickets in one-day international matches (ODIs).
- He took an incredible 400 wickets in international test matches.
- He was placed into the ICC Cricket Hall of Fame in 2009.
(P2) Even now he is still one of the most popular sports celebrities in Pakistan and a cricket legend around the world.
VOCABULARY: hugely, fast bowler, batsman, nickname, wickets, legend
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Is cricket a popular sport in your country?
- Who are some sports celebrities in your country? What sport do or did they play?
- If you could be a famous sports player, which sport would it be? Why?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- Cricket is not really a well-liked sport in Pakistan. (T or F)
- Akram uses his _________ arm.
- What year did Wasim Akram come into this world?
- Akram is in the ICC Cricket _________________.
- Akram is an internationally well-known cricketer. (T or F)
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- one of the all-time greats (P1)
- left-arm fast bowler (P1)
- he was placed into (#5)
- even now (P2)
- around the world (P2)