(P1) There is too much pollution in Madrid. That is why there is a ban on some cars now. These cars cannot go into Madrid on some days. The plan is to end the ban when the level of pollution is down.
(P2) Madrid is too warm now. This is unusual for this time of the year. That is why the level of pollution is high. It is above European Union pollution limits.
(P3) The speed limits on Madrid´s roads are also lower to reduce pollution. Madrid has almost 4 million cars plus almost 1 million trucks.
VOCABULARY: pollution, ban, level, limits, speed, reduce, trucks
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Is there pollution in your country? If yes, what kind?
- Do lots of people drive cars in your country?
- What are the speed limits in your country?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- Madrid has a lot of _____________.
- When will the ban end?
- It is not warm in Madrid nowadays. (T or F)
- Cars and trucks have to drive slower or faster?
- How many trucks are in Madrid?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- is down (P1)
- too warm now (P2)
- this time of the year (P2)
- speed limits
Image source: By Zakysant at the German Wikipedia – Uploaded by its author to the German Wikipedia as Air-pollution.JPG – Derivative works of this file: Air-PollutionEchappementTruck.JPG