(P1) Zombies are only in horror movies. Or are they? An article in a university physics journal predicts that zombies could kill most of us in 100 days. Students said there would only be 273 survivors of a zombie apocalypse. The students pretended zombies were a deadly virus. The virus infected someone. The person had a 90 percent chance of giving the virus to another person. That person spread the virus around the world.
(P2) A professor explained why students wrote about zombies. He said: “We ask students to write short papers for the ‘Journal of Physics Special Topics’. It lets the students show off their creative side and use some of the physics they know.” It also gives students writing practice. The professor added that it tested how students use their understanding of physics in imaginary situations. This could help us in the future to prepare for disasters.
VOCABULARY: wipe out (title), survivors, pretended, infected, imaginary, disasters
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Do you like TV shows and movies about zombies? Why or why not?
- What types of disasters occur in your country?
- What types (genres) of movies do you like? Why?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- How long would it take them to wipe out most humans?
- How many people would still be alive?
- Who explained the reason why the students wrote about zombies?
- Students wee able to practice their English ____________.
- What else could this writing assignment help with in the future?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- could kill most of us (P1)
- that person spread the virus around (P1)
- creative side (P2)
- write short papers (P2)
- prepare for disasters (P2)