Learning English is no longer just an interest one can choose to pursue as a hobby. In today’s world, it’s a necessity! Whether you’re a manager at a successful company or just getting started in your career, you need to know English to be able to have a good workflow, handle your responsibilities and keep up with the latest developments in your sector. If you studied English in school but still find it hard to speak the language in everyday life, Cambly is here to give you a new perspective on the learning process.
To get the most out of what everybody’s favorite online English course platform Cambly has to offer, it’s important to know how to use your time productively. How would you go about doing that? Your minutes on Cambly are worth their weight in gold. To know how to use them wisely, let’s first take a closer look at what Cambly is all about.
What is Cambly?
Cambly is an English education platform that offers its users the chance to improve their language skills through conversation with tutors who are native speakers in private online lessons. Our state-of-the-art English courses offer a unique path to language learning that diverge from traditional methods. You learn English the same way you learned your mother tongue, by using it to speak about subjects that are relevant to your life.
When you’re faced with someone who doesn’t know how to speak your language, you really have to concentrate on what they’re saying and try to make sense of it. And since using English is the only way for you to communicate with tutors, you learn to get past your fears and start speaking the language. What’s more, we employ a diverse group of teachers who speak in a variety of accents for you to choose from.
Subscribing to the Platform
Here are the simple steps you can follow to start using Cambly:
- Download the Cambly app.
- Sign up to Cambly with your email address or, if you already have an account, sign in.
- Click on Subscribe to take a look at the types of subscriptions we offer.
- First, choose either the 15-minute or 30-minute lesson option under the Set your weekly agenda section of the page.
- Then, indicate if you want to have lessons two, three or five times a week.
- Decide what you want your lessons to be geared towards. You could want to learn academic English, business English, or everyday English. Or perhaps you want to learn them all! Whatever the case may be, it’s important for you to be clear about what you want to pursue, because in the next step, you’ll be choosing a tutor based on their area of expertise.
- Check out tutors’ profiles. All of them are professionals in their fields. Don’t forget to look at how other students rated them. Then, pick one that you think you might enjoy learning with.
- Choose a course that’s compatible with your competency level, goals, and interests.
Don’t forget to pick a tutor that speaks in the accent you want to learn.
- Book a session with the tutor of your choosing at a date and time that works for you.
- Get everything ready before the session starts and when it’s time, join your lesson.
Use the Time Leading Up to Your Lesson to Get Prepared
Cambly offers you a personalized path to learning English that’s sure to improve your speaking abilities in a long-lasting way. But it’s important for you to use the time you have with your tutor wisely so you can learn as much as possible. Here are some simple things you can do to ensure that you and your tutor have a fun and productive lesson together.
Decide the Class Discussion Topic Ahead of Time
Before choosing your tutor, you had decided what you want your lessons to focus on overall, whether it be academic, everyday, or business English. Now it’s time to choose what topic you want to discuss with your tutor in each of your sessions. You could decide on a general heading for that day’s class such as business English, current events, language and culture, professional life, physical activity, hobbies, science and technology, or IELTS and TOEFL preparation.
Since the topic of your discussion will be determined before the session begins, you’ll avoid wasting time thinking about what to talk about during the lesson.
If you can’t think of a discussion topic, Cambly Courses can guide you! You can sign up to as many courses as you want and decide which course you’d like to pursue in each lesson. The class slides are available to you at any time, so if you’d like to practice a little ahead of time, feel free to go over them whenever you want.
Research Key Terms Relevant to Your Discussion Topic
Once you’ve decided on a discussion topic, you can start preparing for the conversation you’re going to have in class. Rehearse what you might say that’s related to your topic when you go online with your tutor. It might even be a good idea to take down some notes. Inevitably, you’ll find that you need to use certain words that you don’t know the equivalent of in English. Make a list of them and find out how to say them in English. Be sure to use the new vocabulary you learned during your discussion in class so that you feel more comfortable saying them in sentences. You’ll see that by doing this, you’ll remember the new terms you learned more easily.
Prepare a Comfortable Environment
We’re not telling you to put up your feet and relax. Your environment should be comfortable enough for you to work in productively.
- Make sure the room temperature is neither too hot nor too cold.
- Turn down the television and radio so that the place is quiet.
- If you can help it, don’t have guests over when your session will be taking place. Even if they’re in another room, having people around will be a distraction during class.
- Place your phone or laptop at a distance from which you can see the screen clearly and your tutor can easily hear you.
Put Your Phone on Silent
Whichever device you might be connecting to the session from, make sure to put your phone on silent before class begins. A WhatsApp message from a friend, work email or missed call can easily distract you from the lesson and make it difficult for you to concentrate again. If the flow of the class is interrupted, it won’t be easy to pick up where you left off.
Discover How to Use Cambly’s Instant Dictionary
During the discussion with your tutor, you might come across words in English you don’t know the meaning of. You might also not be able to remember a specific word you want to say in English. For just such scenarios, Cambly has a dictionary feature you can use during your online sessions. You can look up words on the screen and can continue your conversation without interruption.
Check Your Internet Connection
It’s time for your session to start. You open your computer, but you can’t connect to the internet. You could be out of data, or your modem could have gotten unplugged. Or maybe your connection is bad. Whatever the case may be, it’s a good idea to always log into Cambly ahead of time and check that everything is up and running. This way, if you see that something isn’t working, you’ll have time to find another computer, tablet, or phone to connect to your session on and you won’t miss your appointment. You might also find this article useful: How can I improve the quality of my connection when I’m using Cambly?
With Cambly you have the unique opportunity to learn English through conversation with people from all around the world who are native speakers of the language.
By signing up, not only do you take the first step to becoming a confident English speaker, but you also start meeting people from across the globe. Every minute you spend having discussions on Cambly is vital to your progress. The more productively you use your time, the more you’ll learn and grow. So sign up and start discovering all that Cambly has to offer.