TAIWAN’S MARBLE MOUNTAINS
(P2) The 19-kilometer area, part of Taroko Gorge NATIONAL PARK, features cliffs that can rise up to 100 meters high.
(P3) The park is connected to Taiwan’s capital, Taipei, by the Central Cross-Island Highway, one of the most dangerous SCENIC roads in the world.
(P6) Taroko Gorge National Park has 27 of the 100 Peaks of Taiwan, a widely recognized list of top mountains.
(P9) Some 80% of Taiwan’s animal species can also be found in the park, including the Formosan black bear and Formosan rock MACAQUE.
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Have you ever driven on a dangerous road?
- Do you like to go hiking or cycling?
- Have you visited any national parks in your country?
- What is the most interesting animal you have ever seen in the wild?
EXPRESSIONS TO PRACTICE:
What do the following expressions mean? Practice using each expression in a sentence; extra points if you can use it in conversation.
- Tourist attraction
- National park