(P1) A Muslim woman is in a shop. The shop is in London. A person abuses her because she is wearing a veil. She films the situation. Many people watch the video on the Internet. The police are looking for her abuser.
(P2) The woman says that people often abuse her. She says that it is because of the media. The media shows Islam in only a bad way. She says that people should not get their information only from the media. She says that Muslims are normal people.
VOCABULARY: phobia, abuses, veil, situation, media, should
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Why do some people have a phobia of Muslims?
- In your opinion, does the media make situations worse?
- Do you have any phobias? If so, what do you fear?
- Do you use social media apps? If so, which ones do you use?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- Islamaphobia (Title)
- Films the situation (P1)
- Bad way (P2)