(P1) People light the Olympic torch in Greece. It travels around Greece for six days. It goes to Brazil on May 3rd. There, it travels around 329 cities. It comes to Rio de Janeiro on August 5th. On August 5th, the 2016 Summer Olympics began.
(P2) Brazil must be ready for the Olympics. But there are some problems. The country’s economy is not good. There is not enough money for the Olympic games. Also, the Brazilian President has problems. Some people want her to step down.
VOCABULARY: light, torch, economy, enough
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Do you like to watch the Olympic games? Why or why not?
- Do you play sports? Why or why not? If yes, which sports do you play?
- Has your country ever hosted the Olympic games (summer or winter)? If so, in which city/cities?
- Do you think Brazil should be hosting the summer Olympics if they don’t have enough money? Why or why not?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- Travels around (P1)
- Step down (P2)
Image Source: By Country wind – Own work, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=9802774