(P1) Henry Heimlich invented the Heimlich maneuver, which is a first-aid procedure. You press on a person’s abdomen to remove something from that person’s windpipe when he or she is choking.
(P2) Doctor Heimlich is 96 years old now. He knows that his maneuver works, but he never used it – until now. He saved the life of a woman at the senior center in Ohio where they both live.
(P3) The doctor said that saving the woman’s life was a wonderful feeling.
VOCABULARY: maneuver, first-aid, abdomen, windpipe, choking
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Have you ever used the Heimlich maneuver on someone? If so, describe the situation.
- Can you explain how the maneuver is done?
- Are there senior centers in your country? If so, do you know anyone living in one?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- Henry Heimlich is the inventor of the maneuver. (T or F)
- How old is the doctor now?
- Dr. Heimlich saved the life of a co- worker. (T or F)
- Which State in the USA is the center located?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following phrases or expressions mean?
- Senior center (P2)
Image Source: By TenarAiuola, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:AbdominalThrust_HeimlichManoeuvre.jpg