[World News ★★]
(P1) Police in Sudan arrested the world’s most wanted person smuggler, Mered Medhanie, 35, from Eritrea. His nickname is ‘The General’ because of the way he plans smuggling. His actions caused hundreds of migrant deaths. Migrants are people trying to go to Europe for a better life. Police found Mered in a secret hideout in Sudan’s capital city Khartoum. They worked with Britain’s National Crime Agency (NCA) and intelligence services.
(P2) Mered is now in Italy. He could go to prison for a long time. He smuggled thousands of migrants from Africa and the Middle East to Europe. His price was up to $5,500 per person for the dangerous journey. The NCA said Mered was a high-level human trafficker who did not care about people’s lives. Italian police said Mered wanted to make a huge amount of money from his activities. His plan was to move to Sweden, where his wife lives.
VOCABULARY: arrested, smuggler, nickname, migrant, hideout, journey, human trafficker, huge
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Do you have a nickname? If so, what is it and why do people call you that name?
- Should Mered Medhanie go to prison for a long time? Why or why not?
- Why do some people treat other people bad?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- Medhanie was captured in Sudan. (T or F)
- What other name was given to Medhanie?
- Where was Medhanie hiding?
- Medhanie is currently in France. (T or F)
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- Most wanted person (P1)
- Go to prison for a long time (P2)
- His price was up to (P2)
- High-level human trafficker (P2)