(P1) LeBron James and his relentless, never count them out Cavaliers pulled off an improbable NBA Finals comeback, and Cleveland is title town again at long last. James delivered on a promise from two years ago to bring a championship to his native northeast Ohio, and he and the Cavs became the first team to rally from a 3-1 finals deficit by beating the defending champion Golden State Warriors 93-89 on Sunday night to end a 52-year major sports championship drought in Cleveland. James almost single-handedly carried the Cavs back into this series and finished with 27 points, 11 assists, and 11 rebounds as the Cavs captured their first championship in franchise history and gave their city its first major sports winner since the Browns won the NFL title in 1964.
(P2) An emotional James fell to the floor when this one ended with a second win in six days on Golden State’s imposing home floor, surrounded by his teammates. Only seconds earlier, he went down in pain with 10.6 seconds left after being fouled by Draymond Green while going for a dunk, then came back out to make the second of two free throws. Kyrie Irving scored 26 points to cap his brilliant finals, including a 3-pointer over Stephen Curry with 53 seconds left. The Warriors made their last basket with 4:39 left.
VOCABULARY: relentless, improbable, comeback, rally, deficit, drought, single-handedly, franchise, imposing, fouled
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Do you like basketball? Why or why not?
- If you like basketball, who is your favorite NBA team? Why?
- Why do sports players become emotional when they win?
- Which sports do you like? Why?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- Which USA State is the Cavaliers located in?
- Lebron is from Northwest Ohio. (T or F)
- When was the last championship team in Cleveland?
- The game was played in Cleveland. (T or F)
- How much time was left in the game when Golden State scored its last points?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- Never count them out (P1)
- Title town (P1)
- First major sports winner since the Browns – American football team (P1)
- Home floor (P2)
- 3-pointer (P2)