(P1) Not yet terrified that you’ll suddenly burst into flame? Put on one of Hiral Sanghavi’s jackets. The man behind Kickstarter’s BauBax travel jacket, which last year became the fourth most-funded project on Kickstarter, raising $9.2 million—hopes to raise $100,000 with his new plans for clothes that wirelessly charge your devices. The jackets, hoodies, jeans, and shorts come with a pocket for your phone or other devices that serve as a wireless charging pad thanks to a hidden copper wire and a battery bank. The battery bank takes two to four hours to charge, using a BauBax charging pad, and provides a full charge to a smartphone or two charges to a smartwatch, reports CNNMoney. If you’d rather not wear the battery, BauBax also offers charging wallets, wristlets, and more.
(P2) The clothing ranges in price from $69 for men’s shorts to $169 for a jacket, but necessary add-ons drive up the cost. The $49 battery bank is sold separately, as is a $39 watch connector, $29 charging pad, and $15 phone case that provides wireless charging capability for iPhones; Android devices can go without the case. The prices are expected to climb as the campaign continues. Still, Cherlynn Low at Engadget, who got to try some of the products, suggests they’re worth a try. “The soft interior lining made the clothes comfortable and the garments felt luxe,” she writes. “I was impressed that, even with the phones and battery packs in the pockets, the women’s vest I tried on didn’t show any unsightly bulges.” The gear is scheduled to ship out in January.
VOCABULARY: charging pad, battery bank, wristlets, add-ons, lining, luxe, unsightly, bulges
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Would you buy clothes that charge your electronic devices? Why or why not?
- Do you think the business will be successful? Why or why not?
- If you had the opportunity to start a business, which one would it be? Why?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- How many millions of dollars was collected on Kickstarter to fund the wireless charging project?
- How long does it take to recharge the power source?
- The clothing comes with a power bank. (T or F)
- Who does Cherlynn Low work for?
- What is the timetable to send the products out to customers?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- Burst into flame (P1)
- Expected to climb (P2)
- Ship out (P2)