(P1) An Italian town has passed a law requiring fireworks to be silent. It is to ensure the wellbeing of pets. The town felt the welfare of pets was more important than the sound of fireworks. Dogs have sensitive hearing and fireworks cause them to develop something called ‘acoustic stress’. Smoke from fireworks can also cause health problems for animals. Vets often report cases of nausea, tremors, and anxiety in animals after a fireworks show.
(P2) Awareness of the problems caused by fireworks is growing. Germany banned fireworks near refugee shelters to reduce the trauma among refugees. Fireworks cause similar problems for war veterans. The explosions can trigger post-traumatic stress disorder. Not everyone agrees with the idea of silent fireworks. One Italian said: “You need the…thunder. It’s an essential part of the fun.” He said pet owners should keep all windows closed.
VOCABULARY: wellbeing, welfare, acoustic, vets, tremors, trigger, post-traumatic stress disorder, thunder
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Do you agree with the new law about fireworks need to be silent? Why or why not?
- Do you think you would like silent fireworks? Why or why not?
- Do you think dogs will still hear the fireworks if the all the windows are closed? Why or why not?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- Where’s the town located?
- Which 3 health problems do veterinarians say can happen to dogs after a load fireworks show?
- Which other country stopped fireworks and why?
- Which condition in humans can be set off my loud sounds?
- Everyone agrees with this new law. (T or F)
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- passed a law (P1)
- sensitive hearing (P1)
- war veterans (p2)
- an essential part of the fun (P2)
Image source: by “unknown” https://etologiacanina.files.wordpress.com/2016/08/dog-fireworks.png?w=1000