(P2) However, Pluto remained a mystery for decades because it is 7.2 billion kilometers from the earth. That was, until last week when a NASA probe flew by the planet. It took great images. You can see even structures smaller than a mile across.
(P3) The following video shows an animation of Pluto’s images throughout history. You can see a great difference between the first and the last pictures.
VOCABULARY: dwarf, solar system, astronomer, mystery, decades, probe, animation
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Do you like to learn about the solar system? Why or why not?
- Do you think someday people will live on another planet? Why or why not?
- Can astronomers learn a lot from other planets? Why or why not?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- Pluto is a tiny planet. (T or F)
- When did astronomers learn about Pluto?
- How far away from Earth is Pluto?
- Which organization took photos of Pluto?
- The video is showing Pluto in real life. (T or F)
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- discovered it in 1930 (P1)
- a NASA probe flew by the planet (P2)
- a mile across (P2)
- throughout history (P3)
Image source: Photo: Vadim Sadovski/Shutterstock http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/space/stories/plutos-planetary-status-raises-rallying-cry