(P1) Thinking about a career change? You might want to consider the aviation industry. According to Boeing’s annual Pilot and Technician Outlook report, commercial airlines worldwide will need to add 814,000 cabin crew members, 679,000 maintenance technicians, and 617,000 pilots through 2035. A lot of that growth, 40%, will happen in Asia thanks to the growing middle class, the Los Angeles Times notes. Still, there will be many airline jobs created in North America and Europe as current workers retire, according to USA Today, which notes that this is the first year that Boeing has included cabin crew in its report. North America will account for 21% of new crewmembers and 17% of new pilots and technicians, with growth being spurred by the new markets in Cuba and Mexico.
(P2) Per USA Today, Boeing’s Current Market Outlook report projects the sale of 39,620 airplanes over the next two decades. Meanwhile, in a call with analysts late last month, Boeing said: “it’s reasonably possible” that it may stop producing its double-decker 747 due to poor sales, according to Raw Story. Already in January, according to the Telegraph, Boeing said it would reduce production of the 747 to six a year, down from 1.5 per month as of last June.
VOCABULARY: aviation, cabin crew members, spurred, projects, double-decker
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Would you like to work in the aviation industry? Why or why not?
- If you had to choose between working as a pilot, cabin crew member, or maintenance technician; which one would you pick? Why?
- Which job do you think is the most difficult: pilot, cabin crew member, or maintenance technician? Why?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- What’s the name of the yearly statement produced by Boeing?
- Which Asian social class will account for 40 percent of the growth?
- Cabin crew members were included in the report last year. (T or F)
- What’s the forecasted sale of planes over the next 20 years?
- What reason is given for Boeing to stop manufacturing the two tier 747?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- growing middle class (p1)
- as current workers retire (P1)
- over the next two decades (P2)
- due to poor sales (P2)
Image source: by “unknown” https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-ccfb5658c0f2e248b9e3a5add2f22084-c