(P3) The tide is not very high. But the whale can swim. It can swim away. It looks like it waves when it swims away.
VOCABULARY: beaches, coast, tide, rise, rope, hose, waves
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- How do you think the whale got on the beach?
- Would you help save the whale? Why or why not?
- What could happen to the whale if nobody saved it?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- Which country is the whale in?
- How long is the whale beached?
- Only a rope was used to move the whale. (T or F)
- The whale doesn’t swim away. (T or F)
- It appears the whale waves to the people. (T or F)
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- a big problem (p1)
- more than 24 hours (P1)
- use a rope (P2)
- swims away (P3)
Image source: by “unknown” http://www.diariovasco.com/sociedad/201607/17/rescatan-ballena-jorobada-encallada-20160717190146.html