[World News ★★]
(P1) This spectacular footage filmed from a helicopter shows red-hot lava meeting the sea.
(P3) Officials there say that the lava isn’t putting towns in danger but have warned tourists to keep their distance. Despite this warning, people could be seen near the flow, taking pictures and watching the spectacle.
VOCABULARY: spectacular, erupting, molten, warned, despite, spectacle
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Would you take pictures and watch the spectacle? Why or why not?
- Have you ever been to Hawaii? If yes, tell me about it. If no, would you like to go?
- Would you like to fly in a helicopter? Why or why not?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- Where were the scenes of the lava filmed from?
- Where is the lava going?
- What’s the name of the volcano?
- The local towns are at risk. (T or F)
- People were told not to stay away from the area. (T or F)
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- red-hot lava meeting the sea (P1)
- for the past two months (P2)
- has now traveled six miles (P2)
- isn’t putting towns in danger (P3)
- people could be seen near the flow (P3)
Image source: by “unknown” http://cdn.rsvlts.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Hawaiian-Lava-Flow-36-930×620.jpg