(P1) A bank stopped looking at the world’s economy. It predicted how many medals countries would win at the Rio Olympics. There are no real surprises. Most people know the USA and China will win the most. The bank said Great Britain will finish third. It also thinks India will win just one gold medal.
(P2) There is good news for Brazil. The bank thinks Brazil will win five gold medals. This would be Brazil’s highest ever number. The Olympics will be good for Brazil. Thousands of athletes and visitors will come. They will get into the Olympic spirit. This will help the Brazilian economy. The Rio Olympics will be one of the best.
VOCABULARY: economy, predicted, finish, ever, spirit
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Do you like to watch the Olympics? Why or why not?
- Which country do you think will win the most medals? Why?
- How many medals do you think your country will win? Why?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- What did the bank forecast?
- Who is predicted to come in 3rd place?
- How many gold medals is India forecasted to win?
- Brazil is predicted to win 5 silver medals. (T or F)
- How many athletes and visitors will be in Rio for the Olympics?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- no real surprises (P1)
- win the most (P1)
- just one gold medal (P1)
- highest ever number (P2)
- will get into the Olympic spirit (P2)