(P2) Elephants feast on big blocks of fruit and iced watermelons. After having their iced lunch, they also cooled off in a cold shower.
(P4) Watching animals eating the iced fruit to cool down has become one of the zoo’s most popular attractions.
VOCABULARY: zookeepers, feast on, liver, lemurs, cool down
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- When the weather is hot, what do you do to cool down?
- Do you like to visit the zoo? Why or why not?
- What’s your favorite animal? Why?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- Where’s the zoo located?
- Who fed the animals?
- The elephants swam in the water to cool down. (T or F)
- What did the tigers eat?
- Visitors think watching the animals play is the most well-liked activity. (T or F)
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- reached 35 degrees Celsius (P1)
- big blocks (P2)
- cooled off in a cold shower (P2)
- iced fruit (P4)
Image source: by IMAGE: STR/AFP/GETTY IMAGES http://mashable.com/2015/08/08/animals-stay-cool/#CU4q3bL7M8qb