[People and Animals ★]
(P1) A man is walking his dog. He is near Paris. He finds another dog. It is buried. You can see only its head.
(P2) The man takes pictures of the dog. He puts them on Facebook. He does this to teach people about animal cruelty. People take the dog to a doctor. The dog’s owner is in trouble. Maybe, he will go to prison or he will pay money.
(P3) Many people are angry with him. They want him to be punished.
VOCABULARY: buried, cruelty, owner, trouble, prison, punished
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Do you think the owner should go to prison? Why or why not?
- Why would someone bury their dog?
- What would you do if you found a dog buried?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- Which country is the dog in?
- The man can only see the head of the dog. (T or F)
- Which social media website does the man post the photos to?
- People can be cruel to animals. (T or F)
- The owner may go to jail. (T or F)
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- see only it’s head (P1)
- takes pictures (P2)
- maybe, he will go to prison (P2)
- angry with him (p3)
Image source: “Dogue de Bordeaux portrait” by spaceodissey from Parma, Italy – Do I look pretty?. Licensed under CC BY 2.0 via Wikimedia Commons – https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Dogue_de_Bordeaux_portrait.jpg – /media/File:Dogue_de_Bordeaux_portrait.jpg