(P1) The Olympic games in Brazil begin. They are the first Olympic games in South America. There is an opening ceremony.
(P2) It celebrates Brazil’s natural beauty, history, and culture. Three billion people watch the ceremony.
(P3) Some people protest against the games. They say that they are too expensive. They protest against corruption too. The opening ceremony costs 21 million dollars. In 2012, London paid 42 million.
VOCABULARY: begin, ceremony, celebrates, protest, expensive, corruption
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Do you like to watch the Olympics on TV? Why or why not?
- Tell me about a ceremony you went to? (for example, graduation ceremony)
- Do people protest in your country? If yes, what do the protest about?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- Which country are the Olympics in?
- This is the second time the Olympics are in South America. (T or F)
- How many people see the opening ceremony?
- Why do people protest at the ceremony?
- How much did London pay to have the Olympics?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- opening ceremony (P1)
- natural beauty (P2)
- watch the ceremony (P2)
- too expensive (p3)
Image source: by “unknown” https://i.ytimg.com/vi/oGiMWUSWMqk/maxresdefault.jpg