[World News ★★]
(P1) Fidel Castro turned 90 and Cuba celebrated. The former Cuban leader came to the celebration with his brother, President Raul Castro, and the Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro.
(P2) Raul Castro became the president in 2008, but many Cubans still highly respect Fidel Castro. They see him as the man who freed Cuba from US domination. He delighted them when they saw him at the celebration. He appeared to be in good health and happy.
(P3) Fidel Castro did not speak at the event, but he thanked everybody in a letter. He also criticized Barack Obama who visited Cuba in March.
VOCABULARY: former, highly, domination, delighted, criticized
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Would you like to live to be 90 years old? Why or why not?
- Would you like to travel to Cuba? Why or why not?
- Why do you think Fidel Castro didn’t speak at the celebration?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- How old is the former leader of Cuba?
- Who was with Castro at the celebration?
- When did Fidel’s brother become the leader of Cuba?
- The former leader looked well. (T or F)
- Castro read a letter at the celebration. (T or F)
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- with his brother (P1)
- the man who freed Cuba (P2)
- appeared to be (P2)
- he also (P3)