[World News ★★★]
(P1) Germany doesn’t want its citizens to panic—but it would like them to be a little more prepared for an attack or a disaster. According to a report in the Frankfurter Allgemeine Sonntagszeitung, the German government plans to bring back the Cold War-era requirement for people to stockpile enough food for 10 days and enough drinking water for five, as well as medicine and other supplies. The government is also planning to boost security by bringing in a nationwide alarm system.
(P2) A “Concept for Civil Defense” plan that will be discussed by lawmakers this week says an armed invasion of German territory is unlikely, but citizens should “prepare appropriately for a development that could threaten our existence and cannot be categorically ruled out in the future.” Reuters notes that the new civil defense plan comes amid other security measures, including major increases in police funding and the creation of a new anti-terror unit.
VOCABULARY: Cold War-era, stockpile, boost, lawmakers, civil defense, amid
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Do you think it’s a good idea to stockpile food and water in case of emergencies? Why or why not?
- Are you prepared for a disaster? Why or why not?
- What security measures has your country implemented in the past decade?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- Germany wants to enforce an old requirement for people to store food, water, and weapons in their homes. (T or F)
- What does Germany’s government want to install to warn the public?
- What’s the name given to the strategy?
- The article states a war is probable. (T or F)
- What are the other two security initiatives mentioned?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- to bring back (P1)
- nationwide alarm system (P1)
- ruled out (P2)
- other security measures (P2)
- police funding (P2)
Image source: by “unknown” http://in-cyprus.com/germany-to-tell-people-to-stockpile-food-and-water-in-case-of-attacks/