[World News ★★]
(P2) South Korea said that North Korea put the land mines there, but North Korea said that this was not true. Because of this, and other reasons as well, there are tensions between the countries.
(P3) North Korea’s television showed young people who want to go to war and destroy South Korea. South Korean reservists put photos of their military uniforms on the Internet and said that they are ready to fight.
VOCABULARY: enemies, wounded, tensions, destroy, reservists, uniforms
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Do you think North and South Korea will ever be at peace? Why or why not?
- Which countries border your country?
- Are there tensions between your country and other countries? If yes, describe the situation.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- Both countries don’t get along. (T or F)
- What hurt the two South Korean soldiers?
- Who put the land mines there?
- What did North Korea show on TV?
- What did the South Korean soldiers post on the internet?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- got worse (P1)
- other reasons as well (P2)
- to go to war (P3)
- read to fight (P3)
Image source: by “unknown” https://i.imgur.com/1jSzJQ1.jpg