(P1) In El Salvador, hundreds of people celebrated a dangerous annual festival. People throw fireballs at this festival, which honors a big volcanic eruption in 1922. However, another legend says that a local Christian saint fought the Devil with balls of fire.
(P2)The festival is not new but there are still no rules. Authorities worry that things might get out of hand one day.
VOCABULARY: instrumental, record-breaking, prehistoric, fossil, conspiracy
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Do you think there should be rules at the Festival of Fire? Why or why not?
- Do you have festivals in your country? If yes, tell me about one?
- What are some other things people celebrate?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- Where is the festival?
- The festival is held once per year. (T or F)
- Why do they celebrate the festival?
- The government has rules for the festival. (T or F)
- What concerns the authorities?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- hundreds of people (P1)
- balls of fire (P1)
- still no rules (P2)
- get out of hand (P2)