[World News ★★]
(P1) A super typhoon hit Taiwan and brought severe rain. Winds of speeds up to 216 kilometers per hour blew things around the streets.
(P2) Schools and businesses closed and 1,500 residents evacuated. Tens of thousands of homes were left without power. The typhoon was the most powerful storm of the year.
(P3) Taiwan felt the full force of the typhoon on Wednesday. On Thursday, the typhoon is going to move to China. It comes just over two months after another typhoon. That one killed 86 people in Taiwan and East China.
VOCABULARY: typhoon, severe, evacuated, felt, force
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Are there powerful storms in your country? If so, describe them.
- How would you feel if you had to evacuate your home?
- Would you like to visit Taiwan or China? Why or why not?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- The winds were over 216 KPH. (T or F)
- How many people had to leave their homes?
- The typhoon was not the strongest of the year. (T or F)
- When was Taiwan hit by the storm?
- How many human beings died in the previous typhoon?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- hit Taiwan (P1)
- up to 216 kilometers per hour (P1)
- left without power (P2)
- the full force of the typhoon (P3)
- just over two months (P3)
Image source: by “unknown” http://endtimeheadlines.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/map_specnewsdct-53_ltst_4namus_enus_650x366.jpg