(P1) People who use the Internet too much may have mental health problems, especially if they cannot get online regularly. A survey into the Internet habits of 254 students found 107 students were addicted or had problems like depression. We know little about the dangers of Internet addiction. We need to know more.
(P2) A researcher said students who are addicted to the Internet have more problems with their day-to-day life at home, at work, or school. He said people with Internet addiction were more depressed and had problems with time management. We need to know if mental health problems cause Internet addiction.
VOCABULARY: habits, addicted, depression, dangers, researcher, time management
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Why do you think people are addicted to the internet?
- How many hours per day do you use the internet?
- Should children be supervised when they use the internet? Why or why not?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- Who may have mental health problems if they can’t get online daily?
- How many students were addicted to the internet in the survey?
- Students that are addicted to the internet have problems at home, work, and school. (T or F)
- What 2 problems do students have if they are addicted to the internet?
- Researchers know that mental health problems cause internet addiction. (T or F)
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- may have mental health problems (P1)
- online regularly (P1)
- day-to-day life (P2)
- we need to know (P2)
Image source: by “unknown” http://rightbullets.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Internet-Addict-Poster.png