[Travel News ★★★★]
(P1) Casey Neistat lived out a personal fantasy when he was given a free upgrade from business to first class on a recent Emirates flight from Dubai to New York City.
(P2) Documenting every luxurious moment in a video he uploaded to his YouTube account, Neistat gives viewers a look at what it’s like to have one of the most glamorous flight experiences imaginable, which would have cost $21,635.30 if it weren’t for the upgrade.
(P3) The YouTube personality starts his 14-hour journey by closing the doors to his pod, yes, this airplane seat has doors and checking out some of the amenities. Toiletry kits, including a variety of moisturizers, and other bath products are stowed throughout the pod, and one amenity bag included pajamas and slippers.
(P4) While checking out his personal touch-screen TV, Neistat was able to enjoy some of the snacks as well as the in-pod mini-bar. When he wanted something more substantial, he ordered a dish of caviar from the menu.
(P5) After converting his seat to a bed and having a few hours rest, Neistat reserved his spot in the shower and went to freshen up before landing. The large shower was complete with spa-like amenities, including high-end products and piles of soft towels.
(P6) “Dreams do come true. I am showering on an airplane,” he says in the video, which has garnered more than 8.2 million views.
(P7) Neistat has made a career for himself traveling around the world and documenting his adventures on social media.
VOCABULARY: glamorous, pod, stowed, caviar, converting, garnered
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Would you pay $21,635.30 for a first class ticket? Why or why not?
- Do you think the cost for first class plane tickets are too expensive? Why or why not?
- Would you like to be a professional traveler? Why or why not?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- The world traveler videoed his entire experience on the flight. (T or F)
- Mr. Neistat shared his pod with another passenger. (T or F)
- There was only one amenity bag in his pod. (T or f)
- What did he order from the menu?
- What is Mr. Neistat’s job?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- lived out (P1)
- the YouTube personality (P3)
- checking out (P3)
- freshen up (P5)