(P1) A gadget is a small piece of electronic equipment that does a particular job. Examples of gadgets could be cameras, watches, cell phones or computers. According to the BBC News, British people throw away 17.5 million gadgets each year. Old gadgets like cell phones, computers, and cameras are being thrown in the bin and end up being buried in the ground. This is causing problems for the environment.
(P2) Environmental groups that want to help save the planet are worried that people are not recycling enough. An environmental group called Waste Watch is encouraging people to use recycling services at phone shops and supermarkets instead of throwing gadgets in the bin. Brad Smith, who works at Waste Watch said, “Too many people throw their old electronic equipment in the trash. They don’t know that these gadgets can be recycled and reused by other people.” There are over 10, 000 places to recycle gadgets in Britain. If more people start to use them it can make a big difference to the environment.
VOCABULARY: bin, buried, recycling, encouraging, reused
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- What are some gadgets you own?
- Do you recycle your old gadgets? Why or why not?
- Should everyone recycle their old gadgets? Why or why not?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- How many gadgets are thrown away in Great Britain a year?
- What’s the name of the environmental group mentioned in the article?
- What two locations have recycling services?
- A lot of people don’t know gadgets can be recycled. (T or F)
- How many locations in Great Britain recycle gadgets?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- throw away (P1)
- end up (P1)
- recycling services (P2)
- in the trash (P2)
Image source: by “unknown” https://therecklesschoicedotcom.files.wordpress.com/2016/11/computer-823613_1920.jpg?w=1200