(P1) India and Pakistan have bad relations. They have argued for many years over borders in Kashmir. The latest disagreement is about movies and actors. Pakistan’s biggest cinemas have banned Indian movies in Pakistan’s big cities. Cinema owners say the ban is to support Pakistani soldiers risking their lives in Kashmir. The ban is because Indian moviemakers stopped Pakistani actors from working in Bollywood movie studios in Mumbai.
(P2) Bollywood movies are very popular in Pakistan. Cinemas will lose a lot of money. People will stay at home. Pakistani actors will also lose money. They will get less money from making movies in Pakistan than in Bollywood. Pakistani actors said it was time to stop working in Bollywood. Actor Hamza Ali Abbasi said: “Pakistani artists must boycott Bollywood.” Movie star Agha Ali agreed. He said: “I think it should have been done a long time ago.”
VOCABULARY: argued, borders, disagreement, risking, moviemakers, boycott
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Do you watch Bollywood movies? Why or why not?
- Do you think the Pakistani actors should boycott Bollywood? Why or why not?
- Have you ever visited Pakistan or India? If so, tell me about it. If not, would you like to visit those countries?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- Which area do Pakistan and India fight over?
- What is the most recent argument between Pakistan and India?
- Who stopped actors from Pakistan from acting in Mumbai?
- The Cinema owners in Pakistan are the only ones who will lose money. (T or F)
- Who said Pakistani actors need to stop acting in Bollywood?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- bad relations (P1)
- will get less money (P2)
- time to stop working (P2)
- a long time ago (P2)